Pages

Tuesday 15 March 2011

I’m Sharing my Goodies with Pakistan! YES! Nanaimo Bars For Everyone! by the great Kairene Khan


So Pakistan is heading for the quarterfinals of the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup because they beat the Zimbabwe cricket team in last night’s ODI, and guess who couldn’t be happier? That’s right, me because I am Pakistan’s biggest fan! And guess what? I’m so happy that I want to share my goodies with the lovely lads on the team and all of you, my co-fans of the best cricket team in the world. Yes, it’s everyone’s lucky day because I’m going to show you a delicious goodie from Vancouver Island, my home-island in British Columbia, which will be the show-stopping sweet on the celebratory mitai plate you should be having in the PCT’s honour!

I’m dedicating our world-famous specialty sweet to the lovely lads of Pakistan because every man on the team brought his can of whoop-ass to the match and showed the world how things are done in Pakistan! Yes! The chaps on the PCT are BOSS of the cricket pitch and I’m loving every minute of it. Nobody deserves a great goodie from an Islander more than they do! So without any more of my silly nonsense, let me show you how to make

The Pakistan Cricket Team’s Nanaimo Bars of World Cup Wonderousness


Ok, here comes the lecture bit. As you know, I grew up very close to the city of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada. Our world-famous goodie is the Nanaimo Bar, a treat invented during the coal-mining days which is still incredibly popular. This rich, three-layered dessert is difficult to prepare but worthwhile making on grand occasions and for grand people. So come on, let's make this ASAP because our favourite team is waiting for it and they deserve it! Let’s make and share those Nanaimo Bars! Let’s share our goodies!

Ingredients

Bottom layer
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 3/4 cups crushed graham wafers or maria biscuits
1/2 cup nuts
3/4 cup dried and shredded coconut

Filling
1/4 cup butter
2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
2 tablespoons custard powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Top Layer
115 grms semi-sweet chocolate
1 tablespoon butter

Bottom Layer
In a pot, melt butter on low heat, stir in sugar, cocoa powder, and gradually add the beaten egg.
Cook 1-2 minutes on low heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Add vanilla, crushed graham wafers, coconut and nuts. Press HARD into a square baking pan or flat glass dish. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Middle Layer
In a bowl, cream the butter, and add the milk or cream, custard powder, vanilla and sugar. Add more milk if necessary, the mix should be smooth and spreadable.
Spread over the bottom layer and refrigerate 1/2 hour.

Top Layer:
In a small pot, melt the chocolate and butter over very low heat.
Spread on top of the middle layer.
Refrigerate 1/2 hour

Cut into small bars, place alongside all of the other traditional mitai, and enjoy with a nice cup of coffee or tea.

And there, I give you the best of Vancouver Island so that it can be shared with the best of Pakistan. So come on, get into the kitchen and make the famous Nanaimo Bars and share my goodies with all of your friends and fans of the Pakistan Cricket Team. We all deserve it! Yes! Let’s go Pakistan! Let’s go all the way!!!

Happy Cricket, Happy Cooking, and enjoy my goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment